Arrive in Amberley and check in to your accommodation. Take the time to explore picturesque Amberley, while historic Arundel is just a 5 minute train ride away.
Day two – Amberley to Upper Beeding – 13 miles / 21 kms
• Views of Amberley Brooks nature reserve after climbing out of Houghton Bridge and Amberley.
• Chanctonbury Ring – said to be haunted, it’s the site of an Iron Age hill-fort dating back to the 6th Century BC. Fantastic views out to sea and along the downs.
• Bramber Castle – the remains of a Norman castle on the banks of the River Adur
Day three – Upper Beeding to Poynings – 7 miles / 11 kms
• River Adur – views south towards the stunning hillside Abbey at Lancing College.
• Fulking Hill – spectacular 360 degree views.
• Devils’s Dyke – legend has it that the Devil dug the valley to drown the parishioners of the Weald.
Day four – Poynings to Lewes– 13 miles / 21 kms
• Ditchling Beacon – heading east from here, there are fantastic views inland across the weald and towards the Ashdown forest.
• Iford & Swanborough Hill – great views inland towards Mount Caburn to the north and the sea to the south.
• Lewes – a very historic town with lots to see and do
• Monk’s House, Rodmell – this was the home of Virginia Woolf, now owned by the National Trust and open to the public.
Day five – Lewes – Alfriston – 14 miles / 23 kms
• Great views inland to the north and the sea to the south, particularly from Firle Beacon.
• The picture postcard village of Alfriston.
Day six– Alfriston to Eastbourne – 12 miles / 19 kms
• Cuckmere Valley – where the river Cuckmere meanders its way to the sea
• Seven Sisters – iconic, glorious coastal scenery, arguably the highlight of the whole South Downs Way
• Beachy Head – spectacular chalk cliff jutting into the English channel with fine views west across the Seven Sisters and east over Eastbourne and beyond.
The spectacular Seven Sisters make a fitting finale to the South Downs Way. You can then either depart Eastbourne in the afternoon or stay over and depart the following day, giving you a chance to explore this elegant seaside resort or just put your feet up!